Monday, June 8, 2009

A Visit To Normandy - on June 7, 2009

Greetings friends, family and acquaintances of the Mesilla Valley Chorale! This is my third post, but I still haven't run into any other MVC members! I'll keep trying - I suspect there are a couple of them running around the countryside.

As I mentioned in my last post, I finally made it to the American Cemetery in Normandy on June 7, the day after the 65th anniversary of D-Day. It was an incredibly moving trip - the weather was beautiful (the only part of a day so far that has been!) so I felt like it was meant to be. I took a ton of pictures but this one stood out at me. I took many pictures (similar to ones that you've all seen) of the thousands upon thousands of grave markers, laid out in perfect symmetry across the rolling hills running down to Omaha Beach and the English Channel; it is a magnificent and touching sight almost beyond words (and definitely beyond MY words). This picture, though, sums up WHY. No one can doubt those brave soldiers died fighting for a just cause, and that's what stuck with me.

*** Click on picture to view a larger version ***

1 comment: